At the midnight showing of Wolverine

At the midnight showing of Wolverine
Austin has his serious hero face on

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Life + Batman + Mamas = Coming Soon...

 Austin and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary on July 10.  We had a great time in Logan UT where we stayed at the Anniversary Inn.  We stayed in the Hacienda room so we got Cafe Rio take out and purchased Jarritos soda to round out the theme :).  For my anniversary gift Austin bought me a Batman tank top and some super hero socks.  Of course, I LOVED THEM!  Just a week later we celebrated Austin's birthday with some Batman decor, and the midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises.  I got Austin an ice cream cake from DQ (the man loves his ice cream cake.)  I asked the boy behind the register to write The Dark Knight Rises across the cake.  He looked at me oddly (I thought it was because I was wearing my cool Batman tank and had my hair on top of my head.)  I got the cake home and realized the reason for his confusion.  On the cake he had written The Dark Night Rises.  I told Austin the story and he said, "What!?  How do you not know that reference?  He must live under a rock."  I suddenly felt very badly for DQ employees, who clearly aren't paid enough as to afford proper lodgings. 

A few posts ago I wrote about the wave of depression that statistically hits stay-at-home mothers HERE and I had some great comments.  I wanted to share one because I thought the wisdom in it was powerful.  This is from my friend Anne (who has 7 wonderful children).  I took the liberty of underlining my favorite part.

"I LOVED your honesty! It helps everyone. I was having a conversation with a friend who felt that the LDS expectation of perfection was a cause of unhappiness and wrote her this: Is the expectation of perfectionism really the culprit to blame for people’s hidden unhappiness? That puts the responsibility on others and relieves us of the burden of honest self examination. Isn’t perfection really just taking the next step forward each day instead of giving in to side ways or backwards? The courage to try again, the humility of admitting where we really are and doing something about it? Maybe to be more flayingly open, its more about our own willingness to be humbly honest. ‘ No my son didn’t make the honor roll, in fact he’s failing math. Welcome to my messy home – I’m struggling with getting out of bed today, but I did. I’m kind of sad today. I’d like to be better at managing my money.’ It seems that protecting our ‘image’ is more of the problem than expecting ourselves to move forward, to become more, to be more. If the image we want to project is different than what we actually are, therein lies the problem. And whose problem is that? If we are humble and honest enough, willing to be seen as we actually are, we are truly free. No pretending, no competition about being more than the next person. But also not excusing ourselves from the responsibility of taking our own next step forward. Then, instead of begrudging the good that we see in others’ lives, we can celebrate anyone’s steps forward. Including our own! ‘Welcome to my life. Here I am. Truly free’."

Thank you Anne!! 


Coming soon.....(no this is not a pregnancy announcement) Austin's trip to San Diego's International Comic-Con.  Yes, this is exactly what you picture in your head: various types of humans dressed in festive comic apparel walking around a convention center ogling all things sci-fi, comic, and nerd :)



1 comment:

  1. I love Anne's advice! Usually when we say "I'm not good enough," it is because we are comparing ourselves to others. Elder Holland's talk in April conference about the parable of the servants is applicable. Other people's achievements should never make us unhappy.

    ReplyDelete