Austin and I blew our entire tax return this year. Don't let the connotations of "blew" throw you, we carefully considered our options, this was no reckless purchase or impulse buy. However, "blew" also brings to mind phrases such as: all in, nothing left to lose, the whole kit and caboodle (whatever this references??). So yes, in the connotation that we used ALL of it...we did. What did we buy? A mattress. Not just any mattress, the mother of all mattresses, a Tempurpedic. The answer to your question is yes, it was absolutely worth it. Austin came home from work on Wednesday (delivery day) and kissed our mattress. Yes, the mattress got a kiss before I did, but after sleeping on it I really can't fault him. Austin did his research and we laid on several models before deciding. Mattress shopping is super awkward. The sales people just stand there at the end of the bed watching you lay on it. I had a friend once tell me that his biggest fear was waking up to find someone in his room watching him sleep...he should not go mattress shopping. I should text him now while I'm thinking about it.
Austin is always telling me to be careful. These warnings are especially prevalent when I'm cooking, cutting, lifting or climbing something. He has this odd nervousness about me with knives, and he goes to great lengths to keep me from the iron (I burned myself both times I attempted it last year, yep, that's about how often I iron.). I used to tell him when I would hurt myself (i.e. "Austin I fell down the stairs today." "Austin I cut my finger with the scissors today." "Austin, I burned my face with my hair straightener today.") but his reaction was always the same. He would get this very concerned yet severe look on his face (this will be one of his strongest parenting tools, I assure you.) and asks, "Why? Why did you do that sweetheart?" What am I suppose to say to that (i.e. "Well I just wanted to see if I still knew how to fall down the stairs." "Well I couldn't think of a better way to sharpen the scissors." "I figured the heat in from the straightener would help to open my pores.")?? It makes me feel silly when I don't have any response for his loving question. So now I just keep my injuries to myself...i.e. yesterday I slammed my baby toe on the corner of the door frame. I just wanted to teach my toe to be a little tougher.
Injury and illness are different things, but I seem to have my share of both. Any time my eczema acts up, or my heartburn kicks in, or I have any sort of symptom for longer than a day Austin always wants to know: "Isn't there a pill they can give you for that?" "Have you taken a pill for that?" "Do you have pills for that?" IF ONLY. Is your house too messy? We have a pill for that!! Heavy snowfall on the driveway? We have a pill for that!! This last week I got shingles again...for the fourth time. Freak of Nature? I prefer: Medical Miracle. Luckily, when my little spots started to appear I was ahead of the game...I have pills for that.
Have you ever noticed that if you go to the doctor for any reason, there is a 99% probability you will walk out of there with a pill?
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your mattress. We love ours.
Mom
I think they just give you pills so you will go away an stop bugging them. It's more for your "peace of mind" than for you actual body I'm sure :)
ReplyDelete