At the midnight showing of Wolverine

At the midnight showing of Wolverine
Austin has his serious hero face on

Friday, February 17, 2012

Life + Valentines + 2 WEEKS! = Rolling Over


Calvin wearing his Valentines outift, sorry son :)

It was Valentines this week!!  Austin and I celebrated on Monday (Austin teaches at the college on Tuesday nights).  I had gone to the dollar store and purchased many wonderfully cheesey decorations.  The kitchen looked awesome.  My mom watched the babe while Austin and I made BBQ chicken pizza in the shape of a heart.  We had Ben and Jerry over for dessert (Red Velvet Cake flavor), and then we decided to watch a movie because: A- we have this big new tv.  B- We haven't yet watched all our blu-rays and C- without the baby home we could use the volume instead of the subtitles.  So what did we watch on blu-ray at full volume?  Harry Potter 7 part 2.  Very romantic.  I got him a loaf of Cinnamon bread from Great Harvest ("I loaf you") A recording of all of Beethoven's symphonies ("I symphony must have you") some homemade treats ("You are the sweetest") and some honey roasted peanuts ("I'm nuts about you"...are you nauseous yet?  Oh how I love it!!).  Austin is such a good sport and is sure to comment on all my preparations.  What a guy.  I got some beautiful flowers, and Tangled (you guessed it..on blu-ray).  On Tuesday (the real thing) I had a tea party with the gals (thank you Haley K. for the tea sets).  We had hot chocolate with mix-ins and party punch.  We had tea treats and of course floppy hats were worn by all.  SO FUN!!

Austin and I had our first parenting disagreement this last week.  Austin was explaining to Calvin that he needed to start going to bed earlier because when he gets older he will need to get up early in the morning for school.  I then told Calvin that if on a few ocassions he were really tired I would let him sleep in.  
Austin: "No, no.  You can't do that."
Nicole: "Why not?  I slept through my first few periods a couple times in High School, especially my senior year.  My mom was ok with it."
Austin:  What!?  How many times did you do that?"
Nicole:  "I don't know maybe like ten or something."
Austin:   "Ten times?!!  That is 2 WEEKS of school Nicole...TWO WEEKS!"
Nicole:  "I didn't skip school, I just slept in."
Austin:  "Two weeks....Calvin you need to go to bed."
So our child may or may not sleep in when he is older.  I suppose whichever parent is at home during the day will just make the call....oh wait....

Calvin has successfully learned to roll from his stomach onto his back.  He can't reverse it yet.  The same thing that aids his tummy-to-back roll really hinders the opposite...his huge head.  Don't get me wrong...its the cutest huge head I've ever seen, but it is rather large.  The day he started doing it I hurried and grabbed the camera to film it.  My child, who is a genius, waited for me to get ready before unveiling his trick.  How do I know he's a genius?  I have the footage to prove it.  Right on cue.

4 comments:

  1. I vote with Austin on the bed thing...as would be expected. When you have somewhere to be you get there on time no matter what. I can't tell my boss I was tired and needed some extra sleep. I call it responsibility. Do whatever you'd like and I'll mind my own business (occasionally.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear sister, My mother allowed me mental health days my senior year as well... I, however, skipped the WHOLE day of school (Don't tell Deric!). If the grades are good enough, I say that it is earned!
    I also agree that Calvin is a genious! SOOOOOOO cute!!!!! I am so glad that he is MY nephew! I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love, Bec

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big head thing seems to be a Beckstrand trait. Nathan and Mikheala had the biggest ones in our house... And just FYI, I let my kids sleep in from time to time, I do when I can. Love you girl...

    Aunt Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it possible that the first comment is Deric? I mean that is pretty epic if my brother-in-law is reading my blog from time to time, and we don't mind our own business in this family. Please...that is not how it works, we're all up in everybody's business and that is what makes us wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete