At the midnight showing of Wolverine

At the midnight showing of Wolverine
Austin has his serious hero face on

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Life + Pregnancy + Wood = THE FINALE!!!

Today I am four months pregnant.  I'm still feeling really good.  I am a bit sore around the middle because I'm 'stretching', but not in the way I'd always hoped.  I had to by some new bras this week (sorry to all of you uncomfortable with bra talk).  Lets just say that I've always hated how big my chest is, so having to buy bigger bras had me crying in the car on the way home from the store.  Brother.  I have purchased my first maternity tops and this nifty thing called a tummy sleeve, yep its pretty much what it sounds like.  It helps your regular pants last longer so you don't have to buy too many pairs of maternity pants.  I started looking at baby furniture this week also.  I have come to this very important conclusion:  The cost of maternity clothes and baby furniture is a blatant exploitation of the pregnant american public.  Even worse, there is no apology for those proudly flaunted price tags.  A $650 changing table, dresser combo??  Was it made by a man with no arms or legs??  Because if it wasn't it is clearly overpriced.  I mean do you know what activity takes place on a CHANGING TABLE?  I  may as well be changing my baby on an imported silk cushion made of 14k gold thread. 

We had to decide what kind of wood we wanted on the crib, rocking chair and changing table combo so I googled some options and called Austin over.  He liked the cherry finish, but then became concerned it would be too red.  He did not like espresso...too dark.  He did not like oak...too light.  We finally found a happy medium with WALNUT.  Folks, have you ever tried to find baby furniture in walnut finish?  The options are limited.  Yes, the few the proud the walnut baby furniture owners.  I found the glider I want....$137, the crib I want $169 (matress not included...because that makes sense), but I CANNOT find a walnut finish dresser changer combo.  It has become my nemesis, so join me friends in my search, and ONLY if it was made by a legless armless fellow will I pay over $300 dollars for it.  I may be flexible if it was made by orphans in Africa...using only their teeth.

Now I know I have already talked about Smallville on this blog, but this last week was the SERIES FINALE.  This was a much anticipated event in our household.  He talked about it for three weeks, and I assure you that watching it was truly epic.  I am so glad he was able to see it before the rapture this Saturday.  Since watching it he has been noticably blue for the last few days.  Please send him your well wishes as he tries to find another series to watch for the next ten years.  Austin has changed his Halloween request from a Cyclops outfit to a Superman one, and is also reconsidering the Marvel Comic nursery should we have a boy...Superman may win out (but then there would be a significant amount of red....we totally should have gone with the cherry finish!)  Please give him your input here, or on facebook.  These are important decisions, and they may just shape the life of our child. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole, this is Kira. I changed my blog and my username thing.
    We did cherry finish I think. It doesn't look very red, which was a worry of mine too. Walnut sounds like a great choice! Good luck finding a changing table/dresser. If you can't find one that matches, you should paint one a totally random color!
    My friend breast fed her twins, and went down a whole cup size. She was feeding all the time, as there were 2 babies, for a whole year, but I have heard that from quite a few people. I feel that way about my chest too sometimes. I would love to run and not move at all!!! Haha! Congrats on being 4 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOHHHHH Kira!! Hi. ha ha ha I thought it was you, but your picture is so small :) I'm glad to hear that about the cherry because I really like the look. The painting is a super good idea. I was also thinking of staining something. Hurray for shrinking chests...however it happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE this blog. you don't know me- i'm an austin-friend. i am SO glad you married him- i can't think of anyone who could be more perfect for him. and now i can read about your adorable lives together! :) i'm excited for you and your little thorpian on the way.

    PS: i don't know if you or austin have any aversions to IKEA- their stuff is the most reasonably priced that i could find when i was looking at nursery furniture. we got our crib there. i give it 2 thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Kira says is true, you will shrink in size after nursing (my apologies to all those still reeling over Nicole's mere mention of bosoms--if you are squeamish, stop reading right now), but a word of warning--DO NOT evaluate the size of your upper regions three weeks after you have the baby. You will freak out that you are lugging two prize-winning watermelons with you everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete